Hello friend and Welcome aboard!
Before we get into the AKG C214 vs. Rode NT2A, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Since I have already reviewed both of these, today I will outline the similarities and differences, and then link to some separate reviews. 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!
Both of these mics are extremely well regarded around the internet. The C214 is just about the highest rated mic that I’ve come across, and The NT2A has some really convenient on board features that we will discuss in a moment. The C214 uses the same one-inch dual-capsule as the C414 in a single-diaphgram, cardioid-only design. Large diaphragm vs. Small diaphragm.
Similarities & Differences
- Both use XLR? What is XLR?
- Both are cardioid condenser microphones that require 48v phantom power via your audio interface, preamp, or mixer. What does an audio interface do?
- Patterns. The AKG C214 has a low cut filter and a -20dB pad, while the NT2A has a -5db pad, -10dB pad, a low cut filter, and 3 different polar patterns: Cardioid, Omni-directional, and Figure 8.
- The 214 can handle louder decibel levels. It has a max SPL of 156dB, while the NT2A only goes up to 147.
- Self noise. Sitting idle, the NT2A has an extremely low 7dB of noise, while the 214 sits at 13dB.
- Included accessories. The NT2A comes with a shock mount, pop filter, 20′ mic cable, and dust cover. The 214 comes with a shock mount and metal carry case.
- The NT2A may be a bit too airy sounding and lacking body. This was a primary complaint from reviewers, and common with some Rode offerings. By contrast, the 214 sounds fuller and warmer.
- Price. The C214 is more affordable.
- The NT2A may work better in voice over instances.
Overall, the C214 is very similar to the famous C414, but without all the bells & whistles. The sound is pretty darn close, but without the hefty price tag that the 414 comes with. Similarly, the Rode NT2A uses the same capsule as the NT2000 and K2. What is a cardioid capsule?
Despite the extra features on the NT2A, I do think the C214 edges it out slightly overall. It’s warmer and delivers better sound quality according to the majority of people. I like the fact that the NT2A has 3 polar patterns, but you may not find yourself using all of them that often. The max SPL of 156dB for the 214 is what really sold me, especially since mics have a tendency to blow out or become very sibilant. What does Sibilant mean? The C214 becomes more versatile because of this. It can be used on really loud sources, vocals, and instruments alike. Interested in learning more about the C214?
Need more information on the NT2A?
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this brief article on the AKG C214 vs. Rode NT2A.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Are you convinced that the C214 is better? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..
All the best and God bless,