Greetings friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Audient id14 vs. id22 comparison, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I will outline the Audient id14 and then compare it with the id22 towards the end. 🙂
- Ratings/Best Price
- Video Review
- Who this interface benefits?
- Thoughts from Stu’s notepad
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
- Computer Connectivity: USB 2.0
- Form Factor: Desktop
- Simultaneous I/O: 10×4
- A/D Resolution: 24-bit/96kHz
- Built in DSP/FX: Yes
- Analog Inputs: 2x XLR/TRS combo, 1 x 1/4″ (DI). TRS vs. TS
- Analog Outputs: 2 x 1/4″
- Digital Inputs: 1x ADAT/S/SPDIF
- Number of Preamps: 2
- Bus Powered: Yes
- Depth: 4.72″
- Width: 6.81″
- Height: 2.44″
- Manufacturer Part Number: iD14
The Audient id14 may just be the best interface for under $300. What does an audio interface do? The build and features you get here is astounding for the money. Most reviewers think this thing should be a lot more expensive than it is.
The preamps have been described as very clean, transparent, and musical. You will most definitely get an honest, pure sound from this unit. If you’re voice sounds like a dying cat, you will know! Lol.
- Great preamps with quality converters. Very clean. Preamp vs. Interface. Find out more about how your computer processes this sound: Bit depth vs. Sample rate.
- Phenomenal clarity with no hiss or noise. Natural sound. Crisp and clean, but not harsh, clinical, or sibilant. What does Sibilant mean?
- Solid build. Metal construction.
- Easy to use software interface.
- Honest reproduction of sound.
- Very low latency and plenty of headroom. What is Latency?
- Drivers for Windows 10 questionable. I’ve read a couple people having issues in Windows, so be aware of this. It doesn’t seem to be a widespread problem, and both driver and firmware installations from Audients website should do the trick.
- No MIDI inputs. What is MIDI?
- No On/Off Switch.
- No RCA outputs.
Who this interface benefits?
Some notable features:
- It has a great DI unit that allows you to plug instruments right into the box and record.
- Has ADAT input, which basically allows you to add an additional 10 channels to your rig with one single cable connection. So what would the chain look like?
id22 > Rack of your choice > Mic.
That’s it! Your id22 simply hooks up to the rack via the optical cable.
- Scroll Control. Use the knob on the interface for your PC tasks.
- Built in headphone amp. Drives your headphones to full potential.
- Has an S/PDIF input which allows you to hook up your external hardware racks.
A good match would be:
- Audient ASP800.
- Focusrite ISA828.
- Behringer ADA8200.
A good software match would be:
- Pro Tools 12 (or later version).
- Logic Pro X (or similar).
Thoughts from Stu’s notepad
- Folks are saying that if you crank up the volume with nothing playing, the only think you’ll hear is the noise floor from the microphone itself.
- The sound has been described as “embarrassingly good”, which may make you realize that you will need some Acoustic Sound Treatment. The detail revealed is astounding.
- Works great for PC or Mac.
- The preamps are so good that you will likely realize how much work your vocals or instrument playing need.
- Inspires creation.
- The converters are made by Burr-Brown, a corporation solely known for it’s analog and electronic signal processing.
- I’ve talked a lot about my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and how great it is. This thing is light years better than that. What?! Yeah, it’s kind of a big deal. Don’t get me wrong the 2i2 is still good, but it’s outclassed here. The id14 simply delivers cleaner and better sounding recordings.
Night and day difference in quality vs. other interfaces. Amazing preamps. Great DI unit and added flexibility with ADAT input. Reveals a startling amount of detail. No On/Off Switch.
Similarities & Differences
- The preamps and the A/D converters are the same in both interfaces.
- David Dearden designed Mic Preamps From The ASP8024 Console
- ADAT Input
- 10 Inputs in total
- JFET DI instrument input
- Independent Class AB Headphone output
- Individual 48v Phantom Power Switching
- Low latency DSP Mixer
- Kensington lock
- Neutrik Combo Connectors on the inputs
- Hand milled metal knobs
- USB2.0 connectivity
- The id14 is easier to use than the id22. It’s more for the novice/beginner enthusiast whereas the id22 is for more advanced folk.
- The id22 has both ADAT input and output, whereas the id14 only has ADAT input.
So in short:
id14 = extra mic channels but no hardware compressors, etc.
id22 = extra mic channels + hardware compressor.
- Because of the different character of the preamps, the id22’s sound is more refined, while the id14’s is more playful. The difference here is the converters. Just know that the id14’s sound isn’t cheaper by any stretch, as it uses the same preamps.
- The iD22’s conversion has 4dB more dynamic range (120dB vs 116dB).
- The id22 has an extra set of speaker outputs, allowing for more flexibility in your rig.
- The DI input and headphones output for the id14 are on the front (more practical for most).
- You can add outboard compressors, EQ’s, etc. with the id22 with the extra outputs. So if you plan on using extra external hardware the id22 would be your boy.
- The id22 has some additional on-board features like a PAD, Hi-Pass and Polarity switches on the front.
Only available on the id22:
- ADAT Output
- 2 extra line outputs
- 2 balanced insert points
- Individual Pad switches on the 2 inputs
- Individual Hi Pass filters on the 2 inputs
- Individual Polarity switches on the 2 inputs
- Dim & Cut Switches On Monitoring
- 3 User Programmable keys
- 1 extra cue mix
I don’t see a reason to spend the extra money on the id22 unless you are planning on adding external hardware compressors and the like. The id14 is just an amazing unit with most bases covered. The ADAT input, built in DI box, and headphone amplifier are deal makers for me. I’ve heard that the Sennheiser HD650 as well as similarly rated impedance headphones sound pretty fantastic. What is headphone impedance?
Likewise, the Shure SM7B dynamic microphone, known for being gain hungry, sounds phenomenal plugged straight into the id14 with no Cloudlifters or external preamps. Pretty sick.
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this article on the Audient id14 vs. id22.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Which of these are you more likely to go with? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..
All the best and God bless,