Hi friend and Welcome!!
Before we get into the MXL 990 USB-powered condenser microphone, grab a snack, sit back and relax because…
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!
MXL 990 (USB)
- Analog or digital: Digital
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Max SPL: Info not available. What is SPL?
- Connectivity: USB
- Capsule: Condenser
- Polar pattern: Cardioid. What is a cardioid capsule?
- Type: Mounted
- Applications: Studio, mobile
- Diaphragm size: Large
- Switches: No
- Phantom power required: No
- Width: 2.36″
- Height: 5.11″
- Weight: 1 lb.
- Case: Yes
- Clip: Yes
- Shockmount: No
The MXL 990 USB is a simple plug-and-play USB mic and doesn’t need 48v phantom power or XLR cables. What is XLR?
It includes a small stand, gain switch on the back, and has pretty decent clarity for the price.
- Solid considering it’s USB.
- Great for recording demos with Logic or Garage band.
- Plug and play; doesn’t get any easier.
- Good clarity for the price.
- Includes small stand.
- Extremely sensitive, picking up all subtle nuances in a person’s voice.
- Gain switch on the back.
- Comes in a nice case and includes a shock-mount.
- Good for a beginner on a small budget.
- If you want studio-quality sound, you need to invest in studio-quality equipment, and/or a real studio setting.
- Humming sound audible at times.
- Very sensitive, picking up nearly everything in its vicinity. Acoustic Sound Treatment never hurts!
One reviewer mentioned that if you’re a serious voice-over actor, and need to use this with headphones it will not work that great because of latency. What is latency? A good remedy for that is to just use a true condenser with a preamp (audio interface).
This is a decent mic, but there are better options out there.
I would go with the Blue Yeti if I was just starting out and needed a reliable, convenient, and feature-packed microphone. Interested in learning more about the best USB microphone on the market?
Well, that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this MXL 990 USB-powered condenser microphone review.
Questions, comments, requests? Did I miss the mark? Let me know down below or Contact me!!
Is the Yeti a better investment than the 990? Let me know!!
Until next time…
All the best and God bless,