- 1/26/21. Article/link cleanup.
Hello there friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Shure SM58 vs. SM58S, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I will provide a quick comparison of these two, and then give a recommendation towards the end! 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both mics are 10.5 oz.
- Both have an effective output level of -54 dBm.
- Both have a frequency response of 50 – 15,000Hz.
- Both are dynamic, cardioid microphones. What is a cardioid capsule?
- Both have a built-in pop filter.
- Both have essentially the same sound signature. Overall it’s bright and detailed.
- Switch. The main difference between these two mics is that the SM58S has an On/off switch, hence the S. The SM58 does not. The switch may seem like a pretty good feature, but it also has the tendency to create pops and other undesirables in a live setting. This can range from irritating to downright dangerous, meaning it could damage your gear in some way. The other bad thing about switches is that they tend to get turned off and on by accident. This could prove disastrous while you’re recording as well. Lol.
- The Flipside. On the other side of the coin, some need the switch, as it enables them to turn off the mic so that the crowd can’t hear the dialogue in between songs or sets. Heh. Some people believe that talking in between songs is taboo and the unwritten rule is that you shouldn’t. The mic is also useful for those situations when you need to turn it off because it’s too hot.
- Impedance. The SM58 has an impedance of 150 Ohms, while the SM58’s is 300 Ohms.
Just for laughs, check out the durability test! These videos never cease to make me laugh out loud. SM58’s are indestructible!
Honestly, I would go with the SM58 if it was me, but you may or may not need that switch. It all depends! Regardless, these are battle-tested mics that simply won’t fail.
Well, that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Shure SM58 vs. SM58S comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
What do you think about these? Are they worth a try? I would love to hear from you. Until next time…
All the best and God bless,