Hi friend and Welcome!!
This AT2020 vs. 4040 comparison is going to be short and sweet, but grab a snack, sit back and relax anyway because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this article
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Audio Technica has a long line of cardioid condenser mics, starting with the 2020. This little baby will only set you back about a Benjamin, but is extremely versatile with a nice sound quality. You can think of the 4040 as an upgrade. The 2020 also comes in USB, but for the purposes of this article, we’ll compare the XLR versions.
- What is a cardioid capsule?
- Condenser mic vs. Dynamic mic.
- The difference between a USB microphone and an XLR microphone.
Similarities & Differences
- The frequency responses of both are the same: 20Hz – 20kHz.
- Both are cardioid condenser microphones with XLR capability. What is XLR?
- Both are pretty durable.
- The 4040 has a low cut filter as well as a -10dB pad. The 2020 has neither.
- The Max SPL for the 4040 is 145 dB compared to 144 dB of the 2020.
- The signal to noise ratio of the 4040 is 82dB compared to 20dB of the AT2020. This basically means that the 4040 has a stronger signal than the 2020, with less interference from outside sources.
- The 4040 comes with a shock-mount, dust cover, and carry case. The 2020 comes with a stand mount and microphone pouch.
- The diaphragm size of the 2020 is 16mm. The 4040’s is 20.4mm. Large diaphragm vs. small diaphragm.
- The audio quality of the 4040 is better than the 2020. You can tell a clear difference in the video.
- The build quality of the 4040 is a bit more durable.
Check out the comparison video!
Interested in learning more about the 4040?
Need a solid entry level solution? Check out this article on two great Audio Technica choices!
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this short article on the AT2020 vs. 4040.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Which of these tickles your fancy? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..