Hey there friend!
Navigate the Site!
- Headphone Reviews & Comparisons (You Are Here)
- Microphone Reviews & Comparisons
- Amps, DACs, and Audio Interfaces
- The Budget Kings Series
- Studio Monitors
- Beats, Production, & Turntables
- Gaming, Movies, & Pop Culture
- Build a Home Studio Guide
- Best Of
- The Best Audiophile Headphones (Complete Buyers Guide)
- Best Under $100 (Budget Kings Series)
- Best Under $500 (Popular)
- Best For Gaming (Popular)
- Best For Mixing (Popular)
- Best For Comfort (New)
- The Best Headphones for Jazz
- The Best Headphones for Classical
- The Best Headphones for Rock
- The Best Headphones for Metal
- The Best Headphones for Pop
- The Best Headphones for Hip-Hop
- The Best Headphones for Bass
- The Best Headphones For Folk (Coming Soon!)
Before You Buy Series Pt. I (Complete)
- Before YOU Buy An HD600, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy An HD6XX, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy An AKG K612, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy An AKG K702, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy A Grado Headphone, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy A Chord Mojo, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy A DragonFly Cobalt, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy A K5 Pro, READ THIS!! (Video included)
- Before YOU Buy A Philips SHP9500, READ THIS!! (Video included)
More coming soon!
The Audiophile Rabbit Hole Series Pt. I (Complete)
My personal experience with headphones dating back to 2010, in order of when I listened to them. All of the headphones here, and the ones not yet discussed, had a profound impact on me and/or changed my life and thus should be discussed!
These reviews also take on a more conversational, off-the-cuff type of natural style.
- The Sony MDR-7506 Will Change YOUR Life!! (2010)
- The Audio Technica ATH-M50/M50X Will Change YOUR Life!! (2013)
- The Sennheiser HD600: Still Relevant Today? (2016)
- The Philips SHP9500 Will Change YOUR Life!! (2017)
- The Sennheiser HD25 Will Change YOUR Life!! (2017)
- The HIFIMAN HE400i Will Change YOUR Life!! (2017)
- The Audeze LCD-3 Will Change YOUR Life!! (2017)
- The Focal Utopia Will Change YOUR Life!! (2018)
- The Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Will Change YOUR Life!! (2018)
- The Sennheiser HD6XX Experience (Coming Soon!) (2019)
More coming soon!
Company Conundrum Series
Work in Progress! I will link these together when it’s done 🙂
- Are AKG Headphones Any Good?!
- Are Audeze Headphones Worth It?!
- Are Audio Technica Headphones Any Good?!
- Are Beyerdynamic Headphones Any Good?! (Coming Soon!)
- Are Focal Headphones Worth The Money?!
- Are Grado Headphones Any Good?! (New X Series Coming Soon!)
- Are HIFIMAN Headphones Any Good?!
- Are Sony Headphones Any Good?!
- Are Sennheiser Headphones Any Good?!
More Coming Soon!
- Before You Buy A Koss KSC75, READ THIS!!
- The Koss KPH30i Will Change YOUR Life!!
- Before You Buy A Koss Porta Pro, READ THIS!!
- Koss KSC75 vs. KPH30i vs. Porta Pro (Final Shootout!)
Current # of Headphones & IEMs owned or demoed: 125
* + Bold = Demoing but haven’t added to the list yet. This means it will be added once the article is complete.
- Currently own: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Philips SHP9500, HIFIMAN DEVA, AKG K240M (600 Ohm), Sennheiser HD58X.
- Currently demoing or listening: HIFIMAN HE400se, HIFIMAN Arya, HIFIMAN Ananda, HarmonicDyne G200, OneOdio Monitor 60, Monitor 80.
- Click here to go to my YouTube channel for some great video reviews!
- Contact me if you would like to send something for a demo. I’m always looking to test new products out!
- 1More Triple Driver (Demoed, but not going to review)
- AKG K550 Review
- AKG K553 Review (Demoed)
- AKG K52 Review (Coming soon!) (Demoed)
- AKG K240 Studio Review (Owned & Sold)
- AKG K240M 600 Ohm Headphone Review + 850 Comparison (Own K240M, Sold SR850)
- AKG K612 Review (Owned & Sold)
- AKG K702 Review (Own)
- AKG K371 Review (Demoed)
- AKG K712 Review (Demoed)
- Apos Caspian Review (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-1 Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-2 Review (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-3 Review (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-4 Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-X Review (Demoed)
- Audeze LCD-XC Review (Demoed)
- Audeze EL-8 Open Review (Demoed)
- Audeze EL-8 Closed Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Audeze Sine Review (Demoed)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review (Owned & Given Away)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50x Review (Demoed) (May or may not review in the future)
- Audio Technica ATH-M40x Review (Owned & Sold)
- Audio Technica ATH-AD900x (Demoed)
- Audioquest NightOwl Review (Demoed)
- Audioquest NightHawk Review (Demoed)
- Beats Solo 2 Review (Demoed)
- Beats Solo 3 Review (Demoed)
- Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless Review (Demoed)
- Beats Studio 3.0 Wireless Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Beats Pro Review (Demoed)
- Beats EP Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm (Coming soon!) (Demoed)
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm headphones
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Review (Demoed)
- Mage Audio’s DT770 “Black Mage” Review (Demoed). This is a mod from a nice fella named Craig Boyles of Mage Audio.
- Bluedio T4 Review (+ T4S Comparison) (Demoed)
- Bose Quiet Comfort 35 Review (Demoed)
- Bose Sound True Around-Ear II Review (Demoed)
Bowers & Wilkins
- Bowers & Wilkins P7 Review (Demoed)
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Review (Demoed)
Dan Clark Audio
- Massdrop x E-MU Purple Heart Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Focal Elear Review (Demoed)
- Focal Clear Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Focal Listen Review (Demoed)
- Focal Utopia Review (Demoed)
- Focal Elegia Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Focal Stellia Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Fostex TH-X00 Ebony – Massdrop version (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- Gold Planar GL2000 Review (Demoed)
- Grado RS2i Review (Demoed)
e series line
- Grado SR60e Review (Demoed)
- Grado SR80e Review (Demoed)
- Grado SR125e Review (Demoed)
- Grado SR225e Review (Demoed)
- Grado SR325e Review (Demoed)
- Grado RS1e Review (Demoed)
- Grado PS500e Review (Demoed)
- Grado GS1000e Review (Demoed)
- Grado PS1000e Review (Coming Soon!)
- Grado GW100 Review (Coming Soon!) (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN HE400i Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN HE400S Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN Edition X Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN Sundara Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN Ananda Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN HE-4XX Review and Shootout (All 400 Series Final Impressions)
- HIFIMAN TWS600 Review (Own)
- HIFIMAN DEVA Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN HE400se Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN Arya Review (Demoed)
- HIFIMAN Edition XS Review (Demoed)
- Koss KSC75 Review (Owned and given away in the Koss Giveaway)
- Koss KPH30i Review (Owned and given away in the Koss Giveaway)
- Koss Porta Pro Review (Owned and given away in the Koss Giveaway)
- Meze 99 Neo Review (Demoed)
- OneOdio A71 Review (Demoed)
- OneOdio A70 Review (Demoed)
- OneOdio Monitor 60 Review (Demoed)
- OneOdio Monitor 80 Review (Demoed)
- Oppo PM-3 Review (Owned and Sold)
- Philips SHP9500 Review (Own)
- Philips SHP9600 Review (Owned and Sold)
- PSB M4U Review (Demoed)
- PSB M4U 2 Review (Coming soon!) (Demoed)
- Samson SR850 Review (Owned & Sold)
- Sennheiser HD280 Review (Owned & Given Away)
- Sennheiser HD201 Review (Owned, Given Away, Owned Again, Sold)
- Sennheiser HD202 Review (Owned & Given Away)
- Sennheiser HD25 Review (Owned & Sold)
- Sennheiser HD558 Review (Owned & Sold)
- Sennheiser HD598 Review (Demoed)
- Sennheiser HD560S Review (Demoed)
- Sennheiser HD58X Review (Own)
- Sennheiser HD600 Review (Own)
- Sennheiser HD650 Review (Demoed)
- Sennheiser HD6XX Review (Demoed)
- Sennheiser HD6 Review (Coming soon!) (Demoed)
- Sennheiser HD200 Review (Coming soon!) (Demoed)
- Shure SRH440 Review (Demoed)
- Skull Candy Uproar Wireless (Own)
- Sony MDR-7506 Review (Owned & Sold)
- Sony MDR-V6 Review (Owned & Sold)
- Sony MDR-V150 Monitor Series Headphones (Owned a long time ago :D)
- Sony MDR-ZX100 Review (Demoed)
- Sony MDR-Z1R Review (Demoed)
- Sony MDR-1A Review (Demoed)
- Sony MDR-XB950N1 (Demoed)
- Sony WH1000X M2 Headphone Review (Demoed)
- Sony MDR-101 Review (Coming Soon!)
- Superlux HD330 Review (Demoed)
- Supsoo B131 Review (Demoed)
- Supsoo B130 Review (Demoed)
- Status Audio CB-1 Review! (Owned & Sold)
- V-Moda Crossfade M100 Review (Own)
- V-Moda Crossfade LP Review (Demoed)
- Shure SE215 Review (Bought as a gift for mom, stolen at her job)
- Tin Audio T2 Review
- HIFIMAN TWS600 Review (Own)
- HIFIMAN RE-600S Review (With RE-400 Comparison) (Demoed)
- Hidizs MD4 Review (Demoed)
Extensive and In-Depth
- AKG K702 vs. Sennheiser HD600 (Updated)
- AKG K240M 600 Ohm vs. K240S 55 Ohm
- Audeze LCD-2 vs. LCD-3
- Grado SR60e vs. SR80e (Popular)
- HIFIMAN Ananda vs. Edition X
- HIFIMAN Ananda vs. Sundara
- Philips SHP9500 vs. Sennheiser HD600 (Popular)
- Sennheiser HD800 vs. HD650
- AKG K240 vs. Samson SR850 (Popular)
- Philips SHP9500 vs. 9600 (Popular)
- Sennheiser HD600 vs. HD650 (Popular)
- Sennheiser HD600 vs. HD6XX [Definitive Guide] (Popular)
- Sennheiser HD600 vs. HIFIMAN HE400i
- Sennheiser HD598 vs. HD599 (Popular)
- Sennheiser HD58X vs. 6XX vs. 600 vs. 650
- HIFIMAN Edition X vs. Ananda vs. Arya vs. Edition XS
- Sony MDR-7506 vs. Audio Technica ATH M50x vs. Sennheiser HD280 Pro (Popular)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 vs. 880 vs. 990 [Definitive Guide] (Popular)
- The Sennheiser HD500 Series [Full Guide] (Popular)
- AKG K701 vs. K702 vs. Q701 vs. K612 vs. K712 (Popular)
- HiFiMan HE4XX vs. 400i vs. 400S vs. Sundara (Popular)
- The 4 Best HiFiMan Headphones [Definitive Guide] (Popular)
- HIFIMAN Sundara vs. HD650 vs. HD600
- Philips SHP9500 vs. AKG K702 vs. HIFIMAN DEVA
- Philips SHP9500 vs. AKG K240 vs. Samson SR850 vs. Grado SR60e
- Sennheiser HD598 vs. HD650 vs. HD600 (Popular)
- Audeze LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 vs. LCD-4 vs. LCD-X
- Focal Utopia vs. Stellia vs. Elear vs. Clear
- Philips SHP9500/9600 vs. Fidelio X2HR/X3
Comparisons with videos
AKG K702 vs. Sennheiser HD600
AKG K240 vs. Samson SR850
AKG K612 vs. K702
Grado SR60e vs. 80e
HIFIMAN DEVA vs. Sundara
HIFIMAN Ananda vs. Edition X
HIFIMAN Ananda vs. Sundara
Philips SHP9500 vs. Sennheiser HD600
Philips SHP9500 vs 9600
Sennheiser HD600 vs. HD650
Sennheiser HD6XX vs. HD600
HIFIMAN Sundara vs. HD650 vs. HD600
HiFiMan HE4XX vs. 400i vs. 400S vs. Sundara (Final Shootout)
Philips SHP9500 vs. AKG K702 vs. HIFIMAN DEVA
Audio Technica ATH M40 vs. Status Audio CB-1
Thanks for stopping by!
All the best and God bless,
Keith here…I often check your site, and I follow your always on the mark advice but try as I may, I cannot find your review for Philips X2HR Fidelio or a compare to the Philips 9500 series. What gives big guy?
Saw your other comment. Glad you found the comparison Keith! 🙂
Your site looks decent with a touch of fun, I am sure you are a great addition for the music people, the people who want to see it will find you. I try to give support, yeah I also have things on my mind like everybody nowadays, hey man keep the good stuff going. Greetings from the netherlands alex
Hey Alex! Great to hear from you! Been working on getting a website going/music, etc.?
Hey Stu! Yeah man great to be in contact with you. I do not know about a website. The problem is I prefer to work behind the scenes. Popular behavior (not that I find you guilty of popular behavior do not misunderstand) getting maybe hundreds of thousands fans or visitors is not my thing. I like a small club of people who trust each other. My deal is trust not quantity .Nowadays it is hard to trust people. Getting my face on the internet is not my thing. Maybe I am born to be the mystery music producer although I was and am DJ so some people do know me or know my face. I am DJ in small clubs 200 people max. I am underground person, techno….I do not go to parties anymore but when I go I am dj. So yeah a website is logical, but I know how society is today and that’s my stumbling stone. Even my face is almost nowhere on the internet findable. I however respect your decision to put yourself on the internet. You are on youtube I never never never will do that. I will be on soundcloud you will get the information.
Hey keep on going man with this great respectful website on the www. You are doing a respectful job.
No worries man! Yeah I’ve never been one of those guys I guess. One guy back in college called me “Banksy with a Canvas” because of the way I painted, but I have no clue what Banksy even looks like. Lol. Z Reviews is similar in that he’s never shown his face. I think some people do it for the thrill, and others such as yourself genuinely aren’t comfortable with it. I’m in it less for the fame aspect and more for just traffic, as it’s the life blood of any business. My goal is still to help people first and foremost, but without traffic to the blog and channel it’s not really possible. Thanks for understanding and trust me I didn’t take any offense to it. 🙂 Keep me posted about the happenings!
Hey stu!, I am not a partyday guy myself, also I am a bit late, sorry, all the commercial blablabla lol, but still I want to wish you a fantastic 2020! I hope you make a fantastic year with your website. I promise I will give more support. I have a lot things behind me now. By the way, it is still hard the dt 770 pro or the audio technica m50x. What’s your most used headphone these days?
I will message you soon.
Greetings Alex from the netherlands
NO worries man! We all get busy. Trust me, I’m one of the worst at getting back to people in a timely manner. I suppose part of it is the society we live in. There are simply too many distractions.
I would say the 770 over 50x for comfort. Build is kind of a wash. Both are built very well. The 770 sounds more open than the 50x. If I had to choose, I would go with the 770.
My most used headphone is the K702 which I bought last month! I love it for PC and Console Gaming. I’m going to be doing a comparison video with it and the HD600’s pretty soon so be on the lookout for that!
Glad to hear from you and hope you’re having a fantastic start to the new year!
Keep me posted brother.
I found out about this website by a Dankpod’s video. This website is great. I recently got the Maono AU-MH601 headphones and I wanted to see if you could do a review of them, just to see an experts angle on these headphones.
Hey man thank you so much! Wow! Which video?? I will def consider that review 🙂
It’s been a long time since we chatted brother, hoping all is well with you and family during these strange times!! Last time I had just purchased the HFM HE400S headphone and we were chatting about it. Since then a lot has happened but I’m hanging in there and now own the HFM HE1000V2, and Audeze LCD2C (which I fazored) as well. Between the 3 of them they’ve helped me not to lose my mind during covid!! Just wanted to say hi and mention I still totally enjoy your site and reviews and check out what you’re doing here and on YouTube on a regular basis. Keep up the great work Stu and all the very best!! Your reviews always rock!! Take care,
Hey man! Long time no talk 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by again and for the kind words. Always love hearing from you. Glad you’re doing well! What a great choice. Did you get the classic or is that closed? The original LCD-2 is def one of my all-time favorites!
GOOD to hear from you Stu!!
LCD2C open back are the ones I fazored. Tiny bit less overall “bloom” but I find it more coherent and precise overall while still maintaining the syrupy Audeze sound.
I really enjoyed reading your HFM 400 series shootout, as well as your Audeze LCD2/3 reviews they were spot on, although I’ve never heard the LCD3. I generally hear they’re great but some say a tad trebly at times, which your review touched on. I really enjoyed that comparison because you didn’t just make the 3 better because it was more expensive, you went through the high and lower points of both. Good to see you like the 2 because I sure like mine, there is something smooth and addictive about it!
I still remember you telling me to pull the ear cups of my HFM HE400S forward so the back of the pads touched the back of my ears because it sounded better and you were right, it was like magic but they did sound better!!!
Your site keeps getting better all the time Stu, there’s so much good stuff to see there so keep up the great audiophile work!!!
Take care my friend…..
Hey man! Yeah, it’s funny you mention the LCD-3. I just did a kind of review/look back for my Rabbit Hole series. Is that the one you’re referring to? https://homestudiobasics.com/the-audeze-lcd-3-will-change-your-life/
And thank you so much, Neil! I’m really putting a lot into the site this year so glad you’ve noticed! 🙂
You bet, Stu, Rabbit hole series on LCD3 was wicked beyond reprieve, plus I enjoyed your regular review of the LCD2 very much as well. I see your poised to review the LCD4, so I’m waiting to read that one, PLUS, if you ever got a shot at reviewing the Audeze LCD4Z I’d be clawing to the beginning of the line for for first read of that one!!
Thanks, Neil! Always great to hear from you, my friend. Yeah, I’m debating on a big LCD shootout. It’s been awhile since I heard the LCD-4 but it made a huge impression on me (not necessarily good or bad). It was just really, really dark sounding. Perhaps too much so for my tastes. Don’t be a stranger! 🙂
Ya I’d be very interested on your retake of the LCD4’s because it sounds like we have similar opinions of them. I’ve heard them twice now, but I found them a little weird. I spent 30 min each time trying to decide if I really liked them or not, plus I almost needed head and neck surgery afterwards from their weight!! I really wanted to like them more than I did , I guess I found them good but not awe inspiring for their price point. Maybe I need to listen to them 3 times…..
Hey man! Yeah the LCD-4 to me was too veiled; at least in comparison to the Utopia. I demoed them side by side out of a NAIM DAC V-1. I think the LCD-4 is probably the darkest sounding out of the bunch, and I can’t say I really enjoyed it from that standpoint. It still sounded relatively amazing outside of that, but I much prefer a Utopia as it’s still hands down the best headphone I’ve heard to date. I would like to revist the LCD line though. You’re right though, it was a strange experience listening to it, much like my experience with the LCD-3. If I was going to buy one, I’d probably get an LCD-2 or maybe an LCD-X. The XC (Closed) also didn’t impress me and had a weird sound signature.
Wicked potatoes Stu, I totally agree and thought the XC closed back sounded weird in some way. I thought I was listening to music while wearing a motorbike helmet or something. What’s even weirder than that is I’m almost positive I’m the only person on earth that doesn’t care for the LCD-X. I’ve heard 3 different units three different times and maybe I need to get in for therapy……one was thin and scratchy, one seemed grainy and un smooth in the treble , and I forgot about the last one. I know almost everybody including yourself like
that headphone. I HAVE heard there can be large variations between units sound wise…..
I totally agree with you on the LCD2, to my ears it sounds great.
Yeah man! Totally agree. The XC was quite a strange experience. Haha, wicked potatoes. Now I’m hungry again lol. No no, you’re right! The first LCD-X I got was awful. I thought I was going crazy in how bad it sounded. Similar to what you said; grainy, thin, scratchy, and just bleh. The second one was much better. I have heard that different models yield quite an array of results.
Yeah, the LCD-2 was probably my favorite.
Totally cool Stu!! ( Now you’re hungry again lol . ). Ya maybe just I need to find the right LCD-X. A bummer about the inconsistency between units though. It’s like I buy one with my hard earned cash but then after delivery I find out mine is one of the ones that sounds like crap!!!
I always watch your YouTube stuff and think you’re hilarious. You exhibit almost “Zen” like calmness 98% of time, interspersed with very brief out of control moments of short term lunacy …..It’s awesome!!!!
Keep up the fierce work, Stu!!!!!!
Haha thanks man! Yeah, my niece has always said I’m “so chill” but I enjoy those freakouts, almost as if I have Tourettes or something. Always love to hear from you so don’t be a stranger! (I know you won’t). Take care my friend.
Funny stuff Stu, keep up your magical hilarious formula for success!! Strange times I so hope you and your family are keeping well. I’m hanging out listening to my headphones in the basement so I can avoid getting Covid. Have you heard the HFM HE1000SE? It’s a crazy crazy headphone if you get the chance to review it. Keep up the great work Stu, I’m always hovering around your site to see what’s new. Your headphone and equipment reviews are the total boss!!
Hey man great to hear from you! I’m well. 🙂 You should get outside in the fresh air! And thank you. I haven’t heard that one yet, but hopefully soon. I’m supposed to be getting a Caspian and perhaps some other HIFIMANs but I can def inquire about that.
Cool Stu, I’m still glad you are well!! I may even get out of the basement one of these days. I better put some sunglasses on first though.
The Caspian, ya, looks not bad for around $500! I’ll be looking forward to checking your review out on that one for sure. I’m steeped with anticipation waiting for a brand new cordon bleu Stu review on any new HFM’s OR the fabled Audeze LCD-4. Supposed to be a new 2021 version of LCD-X out too with thinner pads or something. No wonder I peruse your site Stu, I need to keep up with the very latest!!! Take care my friend!!
Yeah, and get a tan! 😛 LOL Cordon Bleu Stu Review. Wow, that has a yummy ring to it! xD So great to hear from you, Neil! I may be getting a 400se soon. 🙂
I’m working on that tan, Stu!! The 400SE, that’s awesome man, I’ll be interested to know what you think! HFM just came out with a “Stealth” magnet version of the Arya too, evidently!!
It was about 5 years ago I first discovered you and your site and I had just bought my first planar, the HFM HE400S, older brother of the SE. I’ll never forget how kind you were to me, as I soon found out the huge amount of headphones you had reviewed, most of them far more expensive than my lowly 400S, but you still made me feel like I’d made the right purchase plus I really enjoyed your review of the 400S and I’ve been a Stu fan ever since……Looking forward to hearing what you think of the SE, my friend.
Keep rockin it, Stu!!
That’s so cool man and glad to have you onboard for so long! Really means a lot when we go back and forth like this from time to time. Honestly, I can’t believe it’s been that long. Where does the time go?! Yeah I think it will be fun to see/hear how it stacks up vs. the DEVA.