Howdy friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Beats Solo vs. Solo HD comparison, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I’m going to bring you a no nonsense down and dirty comparison of these two, and then link to some separate articles towards the end! 🙂
- Iterations of the Beats line
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Wow. Okay. So before we even get into the specifics, let’s go over all the different versions of this headphone so we have a clear idea of what we’re getting into. This review will not cover any In-ear models. The models underlined in green are the only that have received overall positive reviews on amazon. I honestly wouldn’t even bother with the other ones.
Beats Studio Wired (Discontinued)
- Beats Studio 2.0 Wired Over-Ear (Circumaural)
- Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear
- Beats Studio Wireless On-Ear (Supra-aural)
- Beats Pro Wired Over-Ear
- Beats Executive Wired Over-Ear
Beats Solo Original (Discontinued) Beats Solo HD Wired On-Ear (Discontinued)
- Beats Solo2 Wired On-Ear
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear
- Beats Mixr Wired On-Ear
So as you can see, the Solo HD is not only discontinued, but it was never that great to begin with. We’ll delve into why momentarily.
It can be tricky reviewing, researching, or even deciding what kind of Beats headphones you want. There are just too many in my opinion. Part of this stems from the fact that a lot of their early models were just trash. When you’re more interested in style over substance, the brand won’t last long before it tanks. Luckily, Apple came in and revived the Beats image, because I think their was a shift in how people started viewing headphones. Listeners, enthusiasts, and music aficionados are starting to realize that bass isn’t everything, but also that there is a such thing as balanced yet exciting sound. Once you hear how music is supposed to sound, you kind of veer away from that Bass heavy signature in favor of a more even sound. That said, I do like the Beats Solo3, and deem it a worthy entry into the line. In fact it’s probably their best overall sound thus far.
This is all my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. 🙂
As for these two models, the Solo HD was the original model to come out, followed by the original Solo, Solo2 and Solo3.
Similarities & Differences
- Both have a similar look.
- Both fold up in the same way.
- Both Beats by Dre.
- Material. The Solo HD’s have a different texture headband, and the foam cushions are different.
- Build. The construction of the Solo HD is a lot better than the original Solo. The headband (metal instead of flimsy plastic), hinges, and ear-cups are all improved durability wise, as the originals were very flawed and prone to breaking. I would advise you to not even think about buying the original Beats Solo. They will most likely just break. I repeat, DO NOT BUY THE SOLO’S. Lol.
- Sound. The Solo HD’s are superior in that they have better instrument separation, a clearer mid-range, and a less distorted sound overall. The original Solo’s give you heaps of bass, but it’s loose and out of control. It can come across as muddy and just not pleasant. To sum up, the HD’s provide much better clarity while the originals don’t. They also improve upon the treble and mid-range, both of which were lacking with the original.
These are the main differences and really all you need to know about them.
The HD’s are the clear winner of this showdown, but I still wouldn’t recommend either. What you’re really after is something entirely different if you crave a deep bass response and an overall crisp, detailed, and articulate sound signature. And it’s not the Solo2 or 3, though both are very good headphones. What I’m talking about is something better: the wonderful V-Moda Crossfade M100’s. If you never thought a bass-head’s headphone couldn’t deliver incredibly revealing sound, I have news for you: The M100 does just that. Interested in learning more about them?
CHECK OUT MY OFFICIAL V-MODA CROSSFADE M100 REVIEW!!
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Beats Solo vs. Solo HD comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
What do you think about the M100’s? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..
All the best and God bless,