Hey friend and Welcome aboard!!
Comin’ at you all fast and hard with a post regarding your favorite thing: HEADPHONES! Specifically, the Sennheiser HD 202 vs. 203! There are some differences in these two guys, and I would like to help you decipher what’s what!
So sit back, relax, and grab a bowl of popcorn while you read this…
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
of each headphone
- Amp/DAC requirements
- Who these headphones benefit?
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado,
Sennheiser HD 202
price: check amazon! | check ebay!
type: closed back
fit: supra-aural (on ear)
impedance: 32 ohms. What is Headphone Impedance?
frequency response: 18Hz-18000KHz
material: plastic, leatherette
headband: soft padded headband construction
This is a great entry level set of cans for the enthusiast looking to see what gear is all about. A perfect upgrade from your trashy sub $10 earbuds, or a crappy set of headphones you’d find at CVS or something. I really do feel that Sennheiser was looking out for the little guy here. The sound is really good and loud, with plenty of bass (sometimes can get muddy at low frequencies). If you’re already accustomed to high end or even mid level quality sound, these won’t impress you much.
A couple of really nice things about these headphones are their minimal design structure and the chord clip. Though plastic, it’s only one piece and you can detach the ear cups. This contributes greatly to their longevity and durability because there are less parts that can break.
The fact that they come with a clip for your excess chord slack is also a plus. I can wear these at work all day without having to worry about it. I simply wrap the extra in, and clip it to my belt. The 3.5 mm end then plugs into my phone and I’m good to go..
I also like the fact that it comes with a 1/4″ adapter, which conveniently plugs into my audio interface..
Check out my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 review!
- Huge sound in a small package
- plenty of bass
- chord clip
- comes with 1/4″ adapter
- Great value
- minimal design structure lends itself well to durability and longevity
- can be a bit uncomfortable after prolonged listening sessions. Needs adjustment
- Chord feels a bit throwback and somewhat cheap
- bass can get a bit muddy at really low frequencies
Big Sound! Just be aware that they can get a bit uncomfortable after a while, and the bass can get a bit muddy with certain tracks. Overall the sound is amazing for an entry level set, but there are certain tracks where it seems like all the components of the song are running together, making it slightly muddled.
At 32 Ohm, None! How to choose a headphone amp!
Who these headphones benefit?
- People looking for a great value
- People looking for an affordable headphone that will last them a long time
- People who want to enjoy their music, rather than be too critical of it
You will like the hard hitting bass and immediate satisfaction that these cans provide. The chord is a bit long and they can become uncomfortable after long listening sessions. Overall, they are a great set of entry level headphones.
Check out my official Sennheiser HD 202 review!
Sennheiser HD 203
price: check amazon! | check eBay!
type: closed back. Closed back vs. Open back headphones.
fit: Circumaural (semi-around ear)
impedance: 32 Ohm
frequency response: 18Hz – 18000Khz
material: plastic, leatherette
headband: padded headband construction
color: silver & black
These are also a good option and are very comparable to the 202’s. Their has been a small design flaw pointed out by some reviewers and it involves the ear cups being a bit too small for normal sized ears. The sound however has been described as rich and not too colored, and a bit more neutral than the 202’s.
Many people have said that the comfort does get better over time with these.
- rich, full sound
- nice detail and clarity
- bass is tight and controlled, not bloated
- good for all types of music
- can be a bit uncomfortable at first
- deep bass may get slightly distorted at high volumes
- some complain that the ear pads aren’t thick enough and your ears may touch the internal components of the headphone, causing a bit of pain.
- the DJ label that these get can be misleading. They are more for casual use
- issue with one side going out. A few reviewers have mentioned this so I had to add it in. A couple in particular said that they returned them upwards of 4 times and the same issues still manifested.
A neutral sounding set that will inevitably be a little uncomfortable at first. They boast some pretty nice clarity and detail, but the issue with a side going out is a concern, as well as the distorted bass at high volumes.
At 32 Ohm, None.
Who these headphones benefit?
- jazz listeners
- people who want more of a neutral, uncolored sound
- people who want to listen to many different genres
- people who want a loud sound
Similarities & Differences
- Both have 32 Ohm impedance
- Both are closed back
- Both come with a chord clip
- Both have the same design, utilizing a piece of plastic and 2 ear cups
- Both bass frequencies have the potential to get a bit distorted/muddy at high volumes with very low bass
- The HD 203’s are Silver and black while the 202’s are all black
- The HD 202’s have more bass and are generally more “colored”, while the 203’s remain more neutral sounding.
- You will hear more subtle details in the 203’s than in the 202’s.
The 202’s are the better buy, because they are more affordable, and have less complaints. The 203’s got a few different quibbles regarding comfort, design flaws, and the issue with one side going out. If you’re willing to take the chance, and appreciate a more neutral response and don’t like your headphones to be too “colored” or exaggerated, go with the 203’s. Otherwise, I highly recommend the 202’s!
Well that about wraps ups my post on the Sennheiser HD 202 vs. HD 203!
Which of these headphones looks better to you? Let me know..
If you have any other questions I would be glad to answer them down below! I very much look forward to speaking with you..
All the best and God Bless,