Aloha friend and Welcome!!
Before we dive right into the ATH-AD900x vs. M50x, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I’m going to simply outline the similarities & differences between each of these, and then point you in the direction of some of my official reviews 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- My M50 Review!
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!
Audio Technica AD900x
- Type: Open Back, Dynamic.
- Fit: Circumaural (over ear)
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz – 35 kHz
- Sound Output Mode: Stereo
- Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
- Color: Black
- Connector: Mini-Phone Stereo 3.5mm with 6.3mm adapter
- Weight: 265g
- Additional Features: CCAW voice coil
Similarities & Differences (vs. the M50x)
- Both are black and made by Audio Technica.
- Type. The AD900x is an open back model that will leak sound, while the 50x is a closed back model that traps sound inside. Closed back vs. Open back headphones.
- Sound signature. The M50x’s place a heavy emphasis on bass, but not to the point of becoming overblown or bloated. They definitely are not neutral, and because of the deeper bass frequency, the mid-range becomes recessed (i.e. subdued). The treble on the M50x’s is pretty sizzlin’, and I have really enjoyed the heck out of them overall since Jan. 2013. The AD900x by contrast is more of a neutral headphone, with markedly less bass and an overall flatter sound signature. Some say the treble can become overwhelming, but for the most part, these are pretty balanced across the spectrum.
- Build/Construction. The 900x’s have somewhat of an awkward fit to some people. The headband adjustment comes in the form of winged pads, that adjust up and down based on the size of your head. They are said to do much better for folks with large melons. They are also known to droop down and become somewhat loose over time, requiring frequent adjustment. The M50x’s by contrast sport a traditional headband adjustment and fit pretty darned snugly on your cantaloupe. They do not need as frequent of an adjustment as the 900x’s.
- Ear-cups. The 900x’s cups are made of velour padding and are circular. The M50x’s are pleather and conform to the shape of your ear a bit better.
- Cable. The M50’x has a detachable cable while the 900x’s do not.
- Movement. The M50x’s can fold and contort in a myriad of ways, adding to their extremely solid build quality and longevity. The 900x’s are not flexible.
- Connector. The M50x’s connector is made of stainless steel and is incredibly durable. It is screw-on. The 900x’s is made of plastic and snaps on.
My Video Review!
Please don’t forget to like, comment, and subscribe to my growing channel! I would really appreciate any support. ?
As outlined in my ATH AD900x vs. HD598 review, the 900x’s are a decent set of headphones but don’t make the cut without some assistance (different ear-pads & a ghetto rubber band mod). If you’re looking for an open back headphone in this price range, similar to the 900x but better in all respects, the 598 is the way to go.
SEE MY ATH AD900x vs. HD598 COMPARISON FOR MORE IN DEPTH INFO!!
If you’re looking for a closed-back model, the M50x is an incredibly fun headphone and does get a high endorsement from me. Though marketed as a mixing/reference can, it really isn’t. It’s more for the casual consumer looking for a sweet entry-level audiophile can. If that’s what you’re after, it makes a wonderful solution.
CHECK OUT MY OFFICIAL AUDIO TECHNICA ATH M50 REVIEW!! (and the small differences between the M50 vs. M50x)
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this article on the ATH-AD900x vs. M50x.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
What do you think about each of these? The 598? I would love to hear from you. Until next time…
Can’t decide which headphones to purchase? Interested in a complete buyers guide outlining over 40 of the best options on the market? Click on over to the best audiophile headphones to learn more!!