Greetings friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Beyerdynamic DT990 vs. Sennheiser HD600 comparison, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Because I have already written about these two a lot, today I will provide a no nonsense comparison and then make a recommendation towards the end. 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both are open back headphones. Closed back vs. Open back headphones.
- Both have velour padding and are comfortable. The clamp force on each is tight at first, but opens up over time. 😉
- Bass. The HD600’s have an articulate and detailed bass, but it kind of sits down in the mix and isn’t very prominent overall. It’s more immersed in with the music rather than being dominant. The DT990’s is vastly different; it’s got slam, impact, wallop, and whatever else you want to call it. It’s a bass-heads headphone while the HD600 isn’t.
- Mid-range. The mid-range is the 600’s most standout feature. Vocals and instruments really come to life, and there’s a clarity and definition that really stands out. The 990’s mid-range is a bit recessed by contrast.
- Treble. The HD600’s have been accused of being “dark” or veiled in the treble, and while there’s a bit of truth to this, it’s largely kind of a myth. Just know that the treble will not fatigue you much at all, though it can from time to time due to a small spike in the upper mid-range (around 3kHz). The DT990’s by contrast have a sharp treble spike around 8-9k, but it’s kind of masked because of their heavy bass response. What is the Sennheiser Veil? So in essence, the DT990’s will have a bit better clarity, but only because of that treble spike.
- Overall sound. The HD600 is much truer to life, more analytical, and will sound very natural in comparison to the fun sounding DT990. That’s not to say that the 600’s aren’t fun – they definitely are. It’s just that you may find your self analyzing music more with them rather than simply enjoying them.
- Amp. Both highly benefit from proper amplification, and I would say the HD600’s absolutely need an amp to sound good. How to choose a headphone amp!
- Long term. The HD600’s are better for long term listening enjoyment because they’re more relaxed in presentation vs. the intense and hard hitting DT990.
- Detachable. The HD600’s have a detachable cable while the DT990’s do not.
- Build. The build on both is phenomenal, but the DT990’s may be a tad more durable.
Here’s the deal: If you listen to more laid back, acoustic type of genres, classical, jazz, folk, or any type of music with real instruments, then the HD600’s are your best bet. However, I listen to them with nearly everything and they handle all genres incredibly well. Just know that they will replicate sound extremely true to life, and are better suited for mixing/mastering purposes. Interested in in the most in depth and informative review about them?
CHECK OUT MY OFFICIAL SENNHEISER HD600 REVIEW!!
The DT990’s are phenomenal for anything with artificial sounding instruments like synths, EDM, Rap, Hip-Hop etc. So both headphones are awesome, but used for very different purposes. I would say they compliment each-other very nicely. The 990’s are your standard bass-head outfit. Deep, euphoric lows, bright detailed highs. Interested in learning more about the 990’s?
CHECK OUT MY BEYERDYNAMIC DT990 PRO VS. PREMIUM COMPARISON!!
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Beyerdynamic DT990 vs. Sennheiser HD600 comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Looking for something else? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Which of these tickles YOUR pickle? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..
All the best and God bless,