Before we get into the Heil PR20 vs. PR22 comparison, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I will provide a quick comparison and then link to some recommendations towards the end. ?
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both have the same frequency response of 40Hz – 18kHz.
- Impedance. The PR20 has a 600 Ohm impedance compared to 400 for the PR22.
- Weight. Both are 14 oz.
- The PR20 set to flat was rich and full with great tone and presence. With the PR22 it sounded much different, and not in a good way. It came out very thin sounding, and the settings had to be turned down just to make it sound decent.
- With EQ set flat, the PR20 needed less gain than the 22 with the same settings. The 22 has a tendency to sound tinny and thin on the high end, and kind of boomy down low.
- The PR22 may sound better at a lower volume. At a higher volume, it seems to be a bit over accentuated. It becomes too sharp and piercing.
- The 22 would work better in a quieter venue where you don’t have to crank the volume. It sounds good when you’re right up on it, but even at lower volumes, it has a sibilant nature. What does Sibilant mean? A thick foam screen will help.
- The biggest difference between the two is that the PR20 had handling noise issues due to its more prominent low end, which caused unnecessary noise when held in your hand or accidentally breathed into it. This was remedied by the PR22, but some say that the difference isn’t substantial.
If you’re looking for a dynamic cardioid mic for broadcasting, recording, and live sound, I would go with the PR20 and call it a day. What is a Cardioid Capsule? It’s got the smooth, warm, and flat response that you’re looking for, and provides excellent articulation for your voice. You won’t need much EQ either, as alluded to above. Just make sure you will be primarily using it with a shock-mount and stand.
Well, that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Heil PR20 vs. PR22 comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Looking for something else? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Which one of these tickles YOUR pickle? I would love to hear from you. Until next time…
All the best and God bless,
Be sure to check out my Reviews and Resources page for more helpful and informative articles!