Hello there friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Shure SM58 vs. SM58S, grab a snack (or a tic-tac), sit back, and relax because…
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I will provide a quick comparison of these two, and then give a recommendation towards the end!
- Similarities & Differences
- Video Comparisons!
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both have a similar design, though the Sm58 is a little beefier around the handle. The Sm58 grille is also a tad larger.
- Both are dynamic microphones. Condenser mic vs. Dynamic mic.
- Color. The Audix OM2 is black, while the Shure SM58 is black and silver.
- Frequency Response. The Audix OM2 is 50Hz – 16kHz, while the SM58 is 50Hz – 15kHz.
- Polar Pattern. The Audix OM2 is Hypercardioid, while the SM58 is Cardioid. What is a Cardioid capsule? Basically, the cardioid pattern of the SM58 allows it to pick up sound primarily from the front while rejecting side noise better. The hypercardioid pattern of the OM2 is still cardioid, but the area in which sound can be recorded is more restrictive. Because of this, it doesn’t pick up off-axis as well as the SM58. You’re able to move around more with the 58, which is why it’s primarily used in a live setting.
- Output Impedance. The OM2’s is 250 Ohms, while the SM58’s is 150.
- Sensitivity. 1.7mV for the OM2 vs. -54.5dBV for the Sm58.
- Feedback. The SM58 is less prone to feedback.
- Weight. Similar, but the OM2 is a little heavier at 10.8 oz. in comparison to the 10.5 of the SM58.
- Overall sound. You’ll notice that the Sm58 is warmer, with less detail. The OM2 is more precise and has a bit more sparkle, presence, and air. On the flip side, the SM58 handles plosives and “esses” better than the OM2, but will need some EQ to bring out the detail.
I would go with the OM2 over the 58, as it’s clearer and more precise. However, you can’t ever really go wrong in purchasing an SM58 due to its impeccable track record and exemplary build. That said, I actually think the Sennheiser e935 beats both of these, as it has a startlingly crisp response, it does well with pretty much anything you throw at it, and you can move around a lot on stage with it much like a 58. It also has a nice 10-year warranty!
Check the video!
CHECK THIS POST OUTLINING THE SENNHEISER e935 vs. e835!!
Well, that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Audix OM2 vs. Shure SM58 comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
What do you think about these? Are they worth a try? I would love to hear from you. Until next time…
All the best and God bless,