Greetings friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the DT770 vs. Q701 comparison, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Because I have already written about these two a lot, today I will provide a no nonsense comparison and then make a recommendation towards the end. 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both are circumaural and fit over your ear.
- Both terminate in a 3.5mm jack.
- Both have rounder shaped ear-cups with that beautifully comfortable velour padding.
- Type. The Q701 is an open back headphone while the DT770 is closed. Closed back vs. Open back headphones.
- Bass. The DT770 is known for having a deep bass response. It’s more of a bass-heads headphone, while the Q701’s bass is rather lean. It’s not as light as the K701, but it’s still not a headphone to buy if you’re strictly interested in your dome getting rattled. Lol.
- Soundstage. The Q701’s have a marvelously open soundstage and leak sound, while the DT770’s don’t and will isolate sound a lot more. What is Soundstage?
- Impedance. The DT770’s come in 32, 80, and 25o Ohm impedances. The 32 Ohms are meant for mobile devices and won’t need an amp, the 80 Ohms are meant for the studio, and the 250 Ohms are meant for strictly mixing/mastering purposes and need amplification. How to choose a headphone amp! By contrast, the Q701’s only come in one impedance of 62 Ohm but absolutely need a headphone amp to deliver best results. What is Headphone Impedance? Keep in mind that the 250 Ohm DT770 and the Q701 are much harder to drive.
- Sound/Accuracy. Basically if you’re going to be using headphones for critical listening, gaming, or anything where you’re evaluating sound more, the Q701 is the headphone you’re after. The DT770 is more for pure listening enjoyment.
- Weight. The Q701 is lighter than the DT770. 235g vs. 270g.
- Cable. The Q701’s cable is detachable while the 770’s is not. The cable of the 701’s is 6m vs. 1.6m for the 770.
- Case. The Q701’s do not come with a case while the DT770’s do.
- Sound pressure level. 105 dB/mW vs. 96. What is SPL?
- Headband adjustment. The Q701’s have that hammock style headband, which self adjusts and does not require a clicking mechanism. The DT770’s have the traditional style.
The Q701’s are phenomenal, but there’s a better option looming on the horizon in the form of the Sennheiser HD600. The headphone that does everything right. The Gold Standard. The benchmark to compare all others. The tried and true, battle tested, OK I’ll stop. Lol. Interested in learning exactly why it’s the best?
CHECK OUT MY OFFICIAL SENNHEISER HD600 REVIEW!!
As far as closed back, fun headphones, the DT770 fits the bill, but there’s something I would recommend over it: The V-Moda Crossfade M100. It’s a bass heads headphone that provides incredible clarity and detail. Interested in an in depth review?
CHECK OUT MY OFFICIAL V-MODA CROSSFADE M100 REVIEW!!
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this DT770 vs. Q701 comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Looking for something else? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
Which of these tickles YOUR pickle? What do you think about my recommendations? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..