Hi friend and Welcome!!
Before we get into the MXL 990 USB powered condenser microphone, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!
MXL 990 (USB)
- Analog or digital: Digital
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Max SPL: Info not available. What is SPL?
- Connectivity: USB
- Capsule: Condenser
- Polar pattern: Cardioid. What is a cardioid capsule?
- Type: Mounted
- Applications: Studio, mobile
- Diaphragm size: Large
- Switches: No
- Phantom power required: No
- Width: 2.36″
- Height: 5.11″
- Weight: 1 lb.
- Case: Yes
- Clip: Yes
- Shockmount: No
The MXL 990 USB is a simple plug and play USB mic, and doesn’t need 48v phantom power or XLR cables. What is XLR?
It includes a small stand, gain switch on the back, and has pretty decent clarity for the price.
- Solid considering it’s USB.
- Great for recording demos with Logic or Garage band.
- Plug and play; doesn’t get any easier.
- Good clarity for the price.
- Includes small stand.
- Extremely sensitive, picking up all subtle nuances in a persons voice.
- Gain switch on back.
- Comes in a nice case and includes a shock-mount.
- Good for a beginner on a small budget.
- If you want studio quality sound, you need to invest in studio quality equipment, and/or a real studio setting.
- Humming sound audible at times.
- Very sensitive, picking up nearly everything in it’s vicinity. Acoustic Sound Treatment never hurts!
One reviewer mentioned that if you’re a serious voice over actor, and need to use this with headphones it will not work that great because of latency. What is latency? A good remedy for that is to just use a true condenser with a preamp (audio interface).
This is a decent mic, but there are better options out there.
I would go with the Blue Yeti if I was just starting out and needed a reliable, convenient, and feature packed microphone. Interested in learning more about the best USB microphone on the market?
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this MXL 990 USB powered condenser microphone review.
Questions, comments, requests? Did I miss the mark? Let me know down below or Contact me!!
Is the Yeti a better investment than the 990? Let me know!!
Until next time..
All the best and God bless,
Be sure to check out my Reviews and Resources page for more helpful and informative articles!