Hi friend and Welcome!
Before we get into the MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone Review, grab a snack, sit back and relax because…
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
- Vocal/Rap test
- Who this mic benefits?
- What you will need?
- Final Word
- Microphone Type: Condenser. Condenser mic vs. Dynamic mic.
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid. What is a cardioid capsule?
- Diaphragm Size: 22mm/.87 in.
- Frequency Response: 30Hz-20kHz
- Max SPL: 137dB. What is SPL?
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohms
- Color: Black/Gold
- Connector: XLR. What is XLR?
- Weight: 1 lb.
- Included Accessories: Shock-mount, Case.
I’ve done quite a bit of research on this puppy, and the verdict is that it’s a pretty sweet and affordable little XLR Cardioid condenser mic.
One common theme that I’ve come across with these entry-level mics is that they all deliver a sound that rivals that of more expensive mics. I’ve lost count of how many reviewers compared the 770 side by side with a Neumann (or something in a similar price range) and found little to no noticeable difference in sound.
- An outstanding mic for the money.
- Picks up a wide range of frequencies.
- Sturdy, good build quality.
- Great for rap vocals (has that natural low-end sound)
- Good for people with high voices.
- Crisp and clear, picks up the highs well.
- The shock mount that comes with it isn’t amazing.
- It is a bit bright.
- Has some feedback issues at times.
- It’s very “raw” sounding.
Check out the vocal/rap test!
Female Vocal test!
Who this mic benefits?
- RAPPERS first and foremost. Also does well with R&B. Its natural low-end sound greatly benefits that husky male voice, but can also make a higher-pitched voice sound more manly. ?
- Female vocals
- Instrument recording such as acoustic guitar, fiddle, and drums.
- Pod-casting and voice-over type applications.
- It’s really an all-purpose tool. The -10db switch, built-in low pass filter, and its versatility are deciding factors.
By and large, this should be your go-to mic if you’re looking to record rap vocals. Hands down. If you’re a rapper just starting out, this is the mic for you. If you’ve been rapping while and need a mic, this is it.
What you will need?
This thing picks up a lot of ambient noise, so make sure you set up your studio space as best you can before recording. Turn off any fans, air conditioners, and computers in nearby rooms to minimize distractions. Also pray that no one starts mowing the lawn, or taking a huge dump while you’re in the middle of screaming into this bad boy. ? Check out my post on Acoustic Sound Treatment for some helpful tips on setting up your studio space!
Make sure you have a sequencing program to record your vocals or else nothing will happen. Your CPU will register that a device is connected but nothing else! Audacity works great for starting out!
You will need:
- 48v Phantom power via preamp or audio interface. Preamp vs. Interface. Find out more about Your audio interface!
- XLR cables.
- Recording/Sequencing program that may use MIDI data. What is MIDI?
- Mic Stand, Pop Filter, and Shock-mount (optional).
If you’re really cheap like me, you could simply put a blanket over your head and record that way! I saw a guy on you-tube do a video of this and the difference was immense. For as ridiculous and funny as he looked, the sound was markedly improved.
This video is not only hilarious and makes me laugh, but it illustrates the exact point I’m trying to make: You need to be isolated from ALL outside noise, as best as you can.
Perhaps the greatest strength of the MXL 770 is its versatility. It is widely endorsed for rap vocals, female vocals, as well as voice-over and instrument recording. It’s a jack-of-all-trades piece that has a very natural sound signature overall. The low end is extremely warm and pleasant and gives your voice a nice added emphasis.
At its price, this mic performs like that of a much more expensive piece and definitely is too good for its price range. For rap vocals? Absolutely. Versatile? Yes indeed. Affordable? You bet. If you’re looking for a solid solution to most of your recording needs, look no further.
Well, that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed my MXL 770 Microphone Review!
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Comment down below or contact me directly! I would love to hear from you…
What do you think about this mic? Let me know as well!!
All the best and God bless,