Aloha friend and Welcome aboard!!
Before we get into the Samson SR850 vs. SR950, grab a snack, sit back and relax because..
You’ve come to the right place!!
What I will bring you in this review
Today I will provide a quick and detailed comparison, and then link to my recommendation towards the end. 🙂
- Similarities & Differences
- Final Word
Now without further ado, let’s get rolling!!
Similarities & Differences
- Both have a 32 Ohm impedance. What is Headphone Impedance?
- Both have 98dB/mW of sensitivity.
- Both are Circumaural, and fit Over the ear.
- Both have the same hammock head band structure which I love.
- They both have velour ear pads with rounded cups.
- Both have non detachable cables that terminate in a 3.5mm jack with a 1/4″ adapter.
- Both have 50mm drivers. What is a Headphone Driver?
- Bass. The SR950 has more bass than the 850, especially in the sub bass.
- Mid-range. The Sr850 has a better mid-range with more details present.
- Soundstage. The SR850 has a more open soundstage. What is Soundstage?
- Overall. The SR850 is a better all around headphone, and works well with music, movies, and gaming. The SR950 is more of a bass-heads can, while the 850’s have an incredibly crisp and clean response. That’s not to say the 950’s don’t, but it’s just not as prominent.
- Frequency Response. The SR850’s is 10-30kHz, while the 950’s is 10-25kHz. Keep in mind the human ear can only hear up to 20kHz, so take these numbers with a grain of salt. Pink Himalayan or Aztec Sea Salt is preferred. 😛
- Open vs. Closed. The SR850 is an open back headphone while the SR950 is closed back. Closed back vs. Open back headphones.
Which of these you go with depends on the sound signature that you’re after.
If you’re looking for a closed back model with good sound isolation and a deeper bass response, the SR850 is your boy. However, my favorite budget closed back is the Sony MDR V6. It’s indescribably good like Zaxby’s chicken, and has been around for decades. Interested in learning exactly why they’re the best entry level closed backs?
If you’re looking for an open back with crystal clear and detailed sound, it’s hard to recommend anything other than the SR850 in this price range. These headphones are absolutely phenomenal and I was really taken aback when I first put them on. Why? Because I wasn’t expecting such a great sound for such a small price. Interested in learning all about them?
Well that’s about it for today my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this Samson SR850 vs. SR950 comparison.
Questions? Comments? Requests? Did I miss the mark on something? Looking for something else? Please let me know down below or Contact me!!
What do you think about the SR850? I would love to hear from you. Until next time..
All the best and God bless,
Can’t decide which headphones to purchase? Interested in a complete buyers guide outlining over 40 of the best options on the market? Click on over to the best audiophile headphones to learn more!!
Be sure to also check out my Reviews and Resources page for more helpful and informative articles!